Landlords looking to carry out home improvements and repairs on their rental properties can now search with confidence for reputable and expert tradespeople through a new partnership announced today between TrustMark, the Government-endorsed quality mark for tradesmen and Endsleigh, an independent intermediary specialising in the provision of insurance and financial products.
The initiative will also boost access for TrustMark-registered tradesmen to the lucrative home repair, maintenance and improvement (RMI) market in the private rented sector, estimated by Endsleigh to be worth about £1.25 billion a year.
A survey by Endsleigh of nearly 1,500 landlords found it is not uncommon for a landlord to spend up to £1,000 in repair and maintenance in a year. Landlords without letting agents were more than twice as likely to pay out extra cash for big jobs costing between £1,000 and £2,000.
The new partnership will encourage Endsleigh’s landlord and letting agent customers to use TrustMark’s 14,500 registered firms, giving them greater confidence that the work will be carried out by high quality trusted professionals working to government-endorsed standards.
Recent trends illustrate that many landlords have busy day jobs, without prior property management experience, and often have to rely on reliable local experts in the industry to help.
Marcus Latchford, Endsleigh’s Lettings and Landlords Manager, said:
“It can be difficult to juggle everyday life while also managing a rental property. Our research showed us that landlords can end up paying out substantially more than they need to for the maintenance and upkeep of their property if it’s not managed effectively. Endsleigh has been supporting landlords and tenants for 25 years and our partnership with TrustMark is a great example of how we continually grow our commitment.
“Not only can we offer landlords the chance to reduce their risk through thorough tenant referencing checks to ensure their potential tenants are suitable, or by offering insurance for events unique to landlords, but we can now recommend the TrustMark brand to all landlords to raise awareness of using trusted and reliable tradesmen to ensure that they and their tenants are protected.”
Liz Male, Chairman of TrustMark, says:
“We are always looking for better ways to increase the visibility of TrustMark so we are delighted that our partnership with Endsleigh will not only help landlords to make more informed decisions when hiring tradespeople to improve or repair their rental properties, but it will also open up stronger business opportunities for the many excellent tradesmen and women registered with TrustMark.
“Landlords need our support. People find themselves acting as landlords for a number of reasons nowadays – whether through inheritance or as an investment – and they often go into it without a clear understanding of the regular maintenance and upkeep rental properties need.
“We hope that more landlords will now recognise the importance of using quality and reputable firms to help protect their most valuable assets. TrustMark is a national quality badge that tradespeople can show to landlords, proving that they have been properly assessed and inspected and will work to Government-endorsed standards.”
TrustMark will be sharing the knowledge and expertise of their registered firms by providing useful information and top tips to be shared with landlords and letting agents through Endsleigh’s Talk Lettings’ Hub - a site designed to provide landlords and letting agents with useful, up to the minute information surrounding the industry, from legal and regulatory requirements to useful guides for landlords which they can also share with tenants. All articles are produced by Endsleigh’s Letting experts and professional partners.
For further information on TrustMark, visit www.trustmark.org.uk
Issued on behalf of TrustMark - For further information, please contact:
Georgina Watkins, Tel: 07595 158460, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors
- Endsleigh interviewed 1,439 UK landlords via their database in March 2014. Data has been weighted to reflect the UK private rental sector.
- In 2014, the number of private landlords in the UK was estimated as 1.4 million by the National Landlords Association. www.landlords.co.uk
- TrustMark is the Government endorsed quality scheme that signposts people to reputable local tradesmen. It is a registered social enterprise, operated under licence from the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS).
- TrustMark is not an advertising directory or a website that sells leads. As a not-for-profit organisation it does not make money from consumers.
- TrustMark’s website has an easy to use UK wide postcode search facility, which provides details of more than 22,500 licensed trades and has the largest database of accredited tradespeople in the country.
- All TrustMark-registered firms’ technical skills have been independently checked through on-site inspections to ensure a high quality of workmanship and trading practices. TrustMark is the only scheme covering all trades that requires qualified inspectors to do these visits, so that technical competence is checked as well as business practices and customer satisfaction.
- TrustMark-registered firms make a commitment to work to Government endorsed standards and are able to offer insurance backed warranties and deposit protection, as well as operating a user-friendly complaints procedure.
- Originally founded in 1965 to serve the student market, Endsleigh is an independent intermediary specialising in the provision of insurance and financial products for career people and is recognised as the leading insurance provider for students and their landlords.
- The company has been working in the private rental sector for over 25 years, and offers landlords a comprehensive range of products including building and contents, legal expenses, loss of rent, home emergency, and blocks of flats. Endsleigh also offer a market leading tenant referencing service through our partnership with Experian, the global leader in consumer data.
- The company offers a wide range of services including motor, home and travel insurance, along with business insurance through Endsleigh’s Business team and financial advice through the Endsleigh Financial Advice team.